Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Enjoying the Journey

When I was in high school I couldn't wait to start dating. When I started dating I couldn't wait to get married. When I got married I couldn't wait to start a family. When I had Gavin I could hardly wait for him to start doing things. Now that Gavin is doing things I can hardly wait for him to continue to learn and maybe develop a little bit more of an attention span. Lately I have been realizing how I am always looking ahead. I feel like that is a good thing sometimes, but occasionally I feel like I need to start doing more things today, especially with Gavin.

I remember the day I brought Gavin home from the hospital. He was asleep so I told Brandon that I was going to go lay down and to wake me when Gavin woke up. Then I would feed him and change his diaper and he would go back to sleep. Then he would wake and I would feed him and change him and on and on. I remember completely coming unglued and feeling like my life was over. I was never going to be able to go anywhere or do anything fun again. How wrong I was! I quickly realized that Gavin was going to grow and change faster than I could ever imagine. Sometimes I feel like I need to do more with Gavin. Turn the TV off and play and explore and have adventures, but for some reason it is hard to do sometimes. This freezing cold weather doesn't help either!!

Last night Brandon had to work late and so I decided that we (Gavin and me) would journey to the mall. I took him to the little play area and the fountains and he loved it!


It was such a simple thing to do and it made such a difference in our day. Then we have days like today where I am considering putting Gavin on KSL Classifieds. He is in rare form today and I am tired. I am trying so hard to enjoy the journey and not miss out on today, but somedays it is really tough. So my question to you is what do you do on days when you are at the end of your rope? How do you enjoy the journey? What do you do to entertain your kid/s in the winter?

No comments: